I had a Tracfone cell phone for quite awhile, but they could never keep my voice mail settings in place. I would set up voice mail and make a test call, which verified it was working.

Then the next day, someone would call me and hear a recording that said they couldn’t leave a message because my voice mail had not been set up yet. This happened over and over, despite my spending an hour and a half on the phone with tech support.

Dissatisfied, I let the account expire, but then I found out that Tracfone was legally required to unlock your phone for use on another network. I called them and they said that if I reactivated the phone, they would be happy to unlock it.

I really liked the phone and wanted to avoid the cost and hassle of getting a new phone, so I paid for 30 days of service to reactivate Tracfone.

When I called to have them unlock the phone, they said that while my phone now qualified to be unlocked, they were incapable of doing that because of some sort of "technical problem." However, if I mailed the phone back to them, they would be happy to credit me $5 toward a new Tracfone.

Seriously? Are all companies this manipulative and dishonest, or is it just Tracfone?

Lessons learned: Buy only unlocked phones.

Do not trust a company to ever unlock a phone for you. And most importantly, NEVER TRUST TRACFONE.

Comments

AlexTrac

Hi. This is Alex from TracFone Wireless.

I'm really sorry if you're having problem unlocking your phone. Let us further review your account so we can check if it's eligible to unlock. Please chat with us at http://bit.ly/2qdrKHH. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.

AlexTrac

Hi. I'm Alex from TracFone Wireless.

I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues in unlocking the phone. I understand where you're coming from, and I would feel the same way if I were in your situation. We would like to discuss the details of the issue, so that we can address it immediately. To better assist you in unlocking the phone, please contact one of our representatives at 1-888-442-5102.