Catasauqua, Pennsylvania
14K views

I received a notice from Tracfone telling me to call to get a free replacement phone since my existing phone is 2G and they are going to 3G in this area. I called the number and, after 45 minutes, finally completed the process to get my free phone.

When I asked about the type of phone they were sending, I was told that it would be "whatever was in the warehouse". I specifically stated that my phone has a QWERTY keyboard and that the free phone should have the same. The phone arrived today.....it is the cheapest model they offer - $9.99 - NO QWERTY keyboard and no camera. I spent another hour on the phone arguing with customer service about sending me an inferior phone and got no where.

I would accept the $19.99 phone which seems to be the equivalent of the one that I now have, but the customer service people refused. They said they sent the "only" 3G free phone offered and cannot do anything about my complaint. I offered to return the phone for a $9.99 credit toward the purchase of the better phone. They won't do that either.

I have been a very satisfied customer of Tracfone for many years even recommending them to many friends, co-workers, and family.

They really did not come through this time, so I won't be recommending them in the future.

Product or Service Mentioned: Tracfone Replacement.

Preferred solution: Send the $19.99 phone as the FREE 3G Upgrade and a shipping label so I can return the $9.99 model A205G.

I liked: Lg phone.

I didn't like: Non english speaking customer service, Bait-and-switch.

Comments

I found this URL through Google.

It appears to be an online order form for your free replacement phone. However, it appears you can optionally choose $20 off your choice of compatible replacement instead.

I'm not sure why Tracfone is keeping the 2G migration such a secret.

At the beginning of April, I received a short text message saying only that there were "Network changes in [my] area" and I needed to call TracFone.

I've been too busy to call (especially when people were saying their calls were never answered). I've done a few web searches since then, but until now could only find posts where Tracfone employees said they would answer people's questions through private messaging.

I have to agree with the person who said "at least they offer a free phone, unlike AT&T". I chose to buy a phone.

If you opt for a free phone, you will have to settle for what they have in stock. You can't expect to get a free phone with the features of your choice.

You want to choose the phone's features, pay for it.

I have done the same thing but haven't even re eived our phone yet. Been about 2 months.

to Anonymous #1160163

Hi. I’m Alex from TracFone Wireless.

We're sorry for the trouble. To resolve the problem, please send us an email with your account information to TF.CorpResolutionTeam@tracfone.com.

I received the same letter, on 25 Apr. I called within 15 minutes and was told my 'Phone exchange case was created successfully.

Letter said phone would arrive in two-days.

It is now 11 May, still NO PHONE - I've spoken with two Tracfone representatives (live) - each assured me phone would arrive on 10 May.

Appeared they would tell customer whatever they wanted to hear just to get rid of them.

Wife and I have two Tracfones, both will be cancelled! Will not recommend them to anyone else.

to Anonymous #1158294

to Anonymous #1197867

When I tried to add airtime to my phone, they said I needed to upgrade and set up the 3G phone exchange. After a month and no new phone, I called and they said it was backordered and they had no idea when it would be shipped.

I finally couldn't wait any longer and called again, and they claimed it had been delivered to me a couple months ago -- which it had NOT!

This time I spoke to three different CSRs and was on hold for about 40 minutes, but they finally are actually sending a phone -- I got a tracking notice from FedEx. This is just typical of Tracfone -- nothing I've tried to do with Tracfone has ever gone smoothly, and I always end up spending a huge time talking with CSRs (who can barely speak English).

Your phone is probably old, like mine is. I ordered a LG306G from Amazon Prime for 7 bucks to replace my old flip phone.

This is the price of progress. It didn't break my bank.

I can't even GET the lousy $10 phone. They're out of stock!

BBB got a complaint today. Been waiting since mid-April & won't give me $ for phone & minutes (912 unused) & no phone? BBB has it now. I.

Ticked too. Never again with Tracfone

to Anonymous #1171170

Why lost minutes? Can't youvuse them up on the old phone first?

Seattle, Washington, United States #1151435

Same issue & "resolution" here! I didn't expect a top-brand smart-phone, but didn't expect "back to the early 2000's" technology to come out of that box either! :P

to Noneyabusiness #1152082

Hi. I’m Alex from TracFone Wireless.

You should be happy you got a free phone offer - AT&T is doing the same 2G conversion to their customers and not offering anything other than the advice that the phone you have flat out won't work after the drop dead date.

I will be extremely ticked also if I get a phone that is inferior to the one I have which also has a camera! That's why I bought it, along with the triple minutes....maybe we should file a class action lawsuit against Tracfone......just because they are being required to upgrade, shouldn't mean that customers with an existing product should have to settle for something less than they already own!!

I have a cell phone with the slide out Key board also. I just ordered the free upgrade replacement phone but I was not given a choice. I will be very unhappy is they send a phone without the slide out key board for text messaging.

I think if you want a particular type of phone it is better to just buy a new phone and not try to get something free that is offered offered as a stop gap. I want a flip phone without any bells and whistles because my phone is not my life so that is what I will buy.

Thank you for the heads up on the free phone upgrade. I will just skip the free offer and buy a new phone of my choice.

I've been a fan of Tracfone for years until now. I had to rush out of town because my father was having emergency open-heart surgery.

I was wondering why no one could reach me like the hospital. Then I find a message from Tracfone telling me to call an 800 number to get a replacement phone because my current phone will soon not work. Except it was already not receiving calls. I called Tracfone and kept getting ridiculous answers telling me to wait 11 days for a replacement to show up.

That replacement will no doubt be even cheaper than the phone I actually payed for. I kept asking to be escalated. After 50 minutes, someone comes on and tells me the supervising manager will be picking up shortly as I was next. Instead, I was hung up on.

Called back to have to go through the same fun again. By the way, having to speak to someone in the Philippines did not endear me to Tracfone. After finally getting that supervising manager, same . Given a case number to use when I called back the next day.

When I did, I get another wonderfully helpful person. She asks for a number but I could not understand her so I asked her which number, the cell phone or the ticket number? No response. I asked if she could hear me.

She said yes. So I asked again, which number do you need and she did not answer me. Called again to get yet another who told me to call again in another 24 hours. I asked for a manager in the U.S.

but was told she was busy so I'd have to deal with the person I was talking to who already had proven worthless. When my minutes are used, I'm gone after 10 years of Tracfone.

to Anonymous #1112483

To add insult to injury after several hours of calling Tracfone, they tell me they closed the ticket because they did not want to expedite my phone to me but they failed to create a new ticket to send my replacement phone. So now, thanks to complaining to try to get it faster, it will actually take longer. They wasted 5 days of my valuable time and are forcing me to wait another 11 days for a garbage replacement phone.