Catasauqua, Pennsylvania
13.8K views

I received a notice from Tracfone telling me to call to get a free replacement phone since my existing phone is 2G and they are going to 3G in this area. I called the number and, after 45 minutes, finally completed the process to get my free phone.

When I asked about the type of phone they were sending, I was told that it would be "whatever was in the warehouse". I specifically stated that my phone has a QWERTY keyboard and that the free phone should have the same. The phone arrived today.....it is the cheapest model they offer - $9.99 - NO QWERTY keyboard and no camera. I spent another hour on the phone arguing with customer service about sending me an inferior phone and got no where.

I would accept the $19.99 phone which seems to be the equivalent of the one that I now have, but the customer service people refused. They said they sent the "only" 3G free phone offered and cannot do anything about my complaint. I offered to return the phone for a $9.99 credit toward the purchase of the better phone. They won't do that either.

I have been a very satisfied customer of Tracfone for many years even recommending them to many friends, co-workers, and family.

They really did not come through this time, so I won't be recommending them in the future.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. This person is quite happy with lg phone and stated that there is a room for improvement of non english speaking customer service and bait-and-switch. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss poor customer service of tracfone replacement and associated monetary loss in the amount of $20. Tracfone needs to "send the $19.99 phone as the free 3g upgrade and a shipping label so i can return the $9.99 model a205g" according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned tracfone replacement in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Tracfone.

Comments

Two members of our household had tracphones and got the same message, but at different times. I got mine first and did get a replacement phone of the same type.

The other member got the message, I completed all the requirements for them, but the phone never arrived. They had thousands of minutes (never used the phone) and now they're long gone.

Not happy with tracphone, but I can't afford a smart phone. Will continue using them, but won't recommend them anymore.

to anonymous Cebu, Cebu, Philippines #1307733

Hi. I’m Alex from TracFone Wireless.

We're sorry for the trouble. To resolve the problem, please click on this link http://bit.ly/2gQCmUz?caseId= to chat with a live agent.

For your convenience, you may contact one of our customer care representatives at 1-800-867-7183. Our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States #1241994

I have been relatively satisfied with Trac Phone as well until this network upgrade issue. They continually lock my phone so I can't make calls, even after creating a work order for replacement.

I only learned of the switchover date by forcing an information exchange. The end of December.

They are simply trying to get more money from you by sending the cheapest phone. Their customer service is horrible, rude, and not concerned with you at all beyond trying to sell you something and getting through their "script".

Pompano Beach, Florida, United States #1240078

Eddaly409@yahoo.com

Called to get yer placement and was told that I already received a replacement and they will sell me a new phone. Tracfone replacement is a total scam.

Ed Daly

JeepSux
Sanford, Maine, United States #1229786

its becuase att got rid of 2G 3G is faster for data and i think has better voice quality and faster texts as i had a 2G phone and when i heard that att got rid of 2G i bought a 3G phone from walmart

to JeepSux #1229973

Hi. I’m Alex from TracFone Wireless.

We're sorry for the trouble. To resolve the problem, please click on this link http://bit.ly/GPJn5a to chat with live agent.

Orlando, Florida, United States #1229784

I am on my 4th replacement phone...smh

to Anonymous #1229974

Hi. I’m Alex from TracFone Wireless.

We're sorry for the trouble. To further assist you, please click on this link http://bit.ly/GPJn5a to chat with live agent.

Bennington, Vermont, United States #1219366

I do NOT want a new d*mn phone... this change is very bothersome and annoying.

I have a simple old 2G phone and am satisfied with it... no need for new fangled bells and whistles...

if it ain't broken don't fix it! :-/

Portland, Oregon, United States #1200518

AT&T is eliminating 2G the first of next year and if you have a Tracfone with a AT&T sim card it will not work. Verizon 2G Tracfones have a few more years before they must be updated.

The best way to get a new phone is not the free one.

Get one from HSC

who has phone offers with a years worth of minutes worth $100.

You will see some are even less than $100 so the phone is free. http://www.hsn.com/shop/cell-phones-tracfone/ec0373-10962

Madison, Wisconsin, United States #1195365

Yes, Tracfone's "free upgrade" tries to direct you to buy a more expensive phone and then gives the option for the free mystery phone. They suck !

to JUV #1196142

Hi. We can offer discounted Smartphones if you are not satisfied with the replacement phone. If you need further assistance, please send us an email with your account information to TF.CorpResolutionTeam@tracfone.com.

Durand, Michigan, United States #1187223

Same thing happened to me only I had a very nice LG phone with many features and they sent a basic Alcatel, had never heard of that brand. Will activate it and when my minutes are used up I will no longer be one of their "valued Tracfone customers", like the letter was addressed to.

to Anonymous Houston, Texas, United States #1223428

I have an Alcatel I do not care for it at all. You have to put on speaker and hold away from you because your face disconnects the calls.

At least that is my experience.

All we need is the litle basic phone we have had no problems with for year. It is all about the dollar.

Pikeville, Kentucky, United States #1177143

EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME...I have the querty keyboard phone also. If I wanted a cheap 9.99 flip phone I would have bought one.

I was told that the phone they were sending would be equal to the one I have. REALLY?

I called customer service and they said there was nothing that they could do. I am so upset and angry about this "DOWNGRADE"!

to Anonymous Cebu, Cebu, Philippines #1177169

Hi. I’m Alex from TracFone Wireless.

We're sorry for the trouble. To resolve the problem, please send us an email with your account information to TF.CorpResolutionTeam@tracfone.com.

I was disappointed with replacement phone liked old one better

to Anonymous #1175418

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States #1169745

Well, I'm not sure what is happening, my wife and I had exactly the same old Motorola slider phones. Tracfone kept sending texts to my wife that she had to upgrade, but not to me?!

Anyway, finally a phone showed up for my wife, a LG306G. Works well enough and the transfer of the # was comical as always (such stories with Tracfone, no time here - except for this line [after they said they would call back in 24hours since they couldn't get it working and I asked, "How will I know it is Tracfone calling? - I have caller ID", she said, "It will be a big number" ?!?? (I think she meant 10 digits - Anyway, I thought it was comical)).

Well, just recently I received email that I was now being sent a replacement phone... NOT the LG306G, but a $79+ LG L33G phone. An android 4G LTE smartphone. Really?

I guess it pays to wait? We'll see if that's what I really receive. What I don't understand is that we both had the same old phone, and are receiving different phones, mine being a nicer phone. The ironic thing is that I don't even want a smartphone, let alone 4G.

Don't want to use up my minutes, I only use it rarely to call home, I barely text. I liked the old plan where I received triple minutes that could be spread (like my wife's new 306G), but now apparently I will receive a phone that has the 3 way split plan for my minutes. We'll see how it turns out and if it will even work in my area. What can I say?

A free (very nice) phone, and I didn't even ask. One of these days I won't use Tracfone, but not today.

to WST2 #1246584

assuming you never got a free smartphone...